kellanknits-banner">

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Not Very Happy :(

Here is my Tab-Top Tote all finished. You will notice that it doesn't have a strap, well that is because I made a mistake in the pattern. Do you see how there are three tabs in the front and back and one on each side, well that is wrong. I was off 4 stitches (I don't know how) when I bound off along the top and made the tabs. Now my strap won't fit in the bag right. I am so upset. I'm not sure how I am going to fix this little problem.

This is what the tabs should look like....Crappy huh?!?! I was off by 4 flippin' stitches!!! I thought maybe I could reblock the bag, but there would be to much of a twist toward the bottom. What do you all think I should do? Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI- Could you cut the two end tabs off, and resew them where they need to go? I know felted objects can be cut, and it may not be very noticable? Just cut really close to the bag, then get a stiff brush of some sort and fluff it up so you can't see the cut. Then sew the tabs back on where they need to go. Would that work?

7:50 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Oh no! What a bummer!! It looks good though ... aside from the tab issues. It's amazing what a mere 4 stitches will do to a gorgeous project. Sorry I have no advise, only sympathy.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Craftybernie said...

I agree with heather. Once you have felted/fulled something you should be able to cut the piece like 'normal' fabric.

Perhaps you could just cut off all the tabs. Then, knit a long strap in the same or contrasting wool (if any left) in the same width of the tabs. Felt it in one long piece and then cut it into however many pieces you need. Sew these pieces on as new tabs. Should work. You may have to 're-felt' the area slightly where you have attached the tabs with matching wool but that can be done by hand in the sink. Hope this helps.

It's a real pain when something like this happens (especially with such beautiful wool) but at least with felting, you can manipulate the piece with little consequences.

Let us know how it pans out.
Bernie
www.craftybernie.blogspot.com

3:18 AM  
Blogger Craftybernie said...

PS - when I say knit the strap in one piece, I don't mean cast on 10 stitches and knit 150 rows as that would drive you crackers. Instead, use a circular needle to knit the piece lengthwise. That way you could cast on (for example) 200 stitches and knit 8 rows?

Bernie

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home